Saturday, April 13, 2013

Tasting - "Torre Castillo Alegre"


  • Torre Castillo Alegre
  • Monastrell
  • Jumilla
  • Spain
  • 2010
  • $9.95
  • Wine critics say it spends 4 months in new American oak barrels. The color is bright ruby-red. There are aromas of dried cherry, pipe tobacco and rose, with a hint of woodsmoke. It is sweet and fleshy on the palate, with blackberry and cherry flavors complimented by licorice and a hint of dried herbs. The cherry and smoke notes are repeated on the finish.
  • I found this Monastrell to have a ruby red color. The nose was very different, it was unfamiliar and full of scents I have never detected in wine before. It offered extra ripe fruit with hints of tobacco. The tobacco was evident on the palate, with still a bit of ripe fruit and hints of smoke. Although I enjoyed the new notes and flavors I experienced with this wine, I didn't care for it.
  • I did not taste with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment